About the Department
The PG department of Physics was established in the year 2014 and was recognized as a Research Centre during the academic year 2018-2019. It boasts an inspiring and encouraging environment for graduates to pursue their higher studies in Physics. Spacious classrooms with multimedia projectors and well equipped laboratories allow students to explore their fields of interest, present their views and share their ideas actively.
The department offers a two-year programme in M.Sc. spread over four semesters involving four core papers and two laboratory components in each semester. The program has structured exploration of theories like Classical Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Condensed Matter Physics and Nuclear Physics accompanied by relevant practicals to give adequate skills in understanding the basic and advanced Physics experiments.
Interdisciplinary knowledge and application of various disciplines can lead to greater creativity and exposure to new areas of research. Therefore, the department offers interdisciplinary courses like Biophysics, Materials Science and Liquid Crystals during the program.
The department strives to empower the students with scientific temper, logical reasoning and analytical power towards overall development in the modern society.
The department’s mission is focused in promoting the knowledge of Physics among students of the college and among the general public and developing an aptitude for science and moulding generations that build nations through scientific research and experiments.
- Ms. M K Usha won the best poster presentation award for presenting her poster entitled “Molecular ordering in a liquid crystalline compound from X-ray studies” at the International Conference on Soft Materials (ICSM) 2014, held at Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur on 6-10 October, 2014.
- Ms. M K Usha was awarded her Doctorate degree on 9th October, 2014 for her thesis entitled “Experimental Investigations on the Optical, Electrical and Structure Properties of Some Liquid Crystals and Crystals” under the guidance of Dr. Revannasiddaiah. Professor, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore
- Ms. M K Usha won the best paper presentation award for presenting her research paper entitled “Translational order parameter in three Schiff base liquid crystals” at the National Conference on Recent Trends in Physics, Mathematics and Engineering ( RTPME) – 2015, held at Dept. of Physics, Sharada Vilas College, Mysuru on 20, 21stFebruary, 2015.
- The department had organized a three day State Level Workshop on “Astronomy and Astrophysics” during 11-13th February, 2015 for the benefit of students.
Achievements of students:
One of the student, Mr. Venkatram Harish Belvadi, I M.Sc. participated in State -level debate competition on the topic “whether infrastructure should take precedence over environment in developing in India “held at SDM-IMD, Mysore on February 8th 2015 and secured the first position. He also participated in Inter-collegiate quiz on climate change held at St: Philomena’s College, Mysore on March 2015 and secured the first place.
PROGRAMMES ORGANIZED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
|1.||Two day Seminar on Recent Advances in Applied Mathematics (sponsored by UGC)||Seminar||22-23 January, 2015|
|2.||Three day Lecture Workshop on Astronomy and Astrophysics (sponsored by UGC)||Lecture Workshop||11-13 February, 2015|
|3.||Fascinating experiments in science – Demonstration (sponsored by Chaitanya Charitable Trust)||Seminar||19 September, 2016|
|4.||Three day Lecture Workshop on Some Advanced Topics in Condensed Matter Physics (sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences)||Lecture Workshop||22-24 September, 2016|
|5.||Sixteen day Refresher Course in Experimental Physics for College teachers, (sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences)||Refresher Course||14 February to 1 March 2017|
|6.||Sixteen day Refresher Course in
Quantum Mechanics with a special emphasis
on Nuclear and Particle Physics
|Refresher Course||17 -31 December, 2017|
|7.||Three day Lecture Workshop on Frontiers in Astronomy||Lecture Workshop||17-19
|8.||Three day Lecture Workshop on Quantum Information and Computation||Lecture Workshop||18-20 August, 2018|
|9.||Three day Lecture Workshop on Quantum Statistics – Theory and Experiment||Lecture Workshop||15-17 February, 2019|
Future plans of the Department:
- The department intends to offer Nuclear Physics and theoretical Physics specialization.
- The department is all set to inaugurate physical society.
- The department plans to offer job oriented diploma courses in Physics.
- Department wishes to switch to renewable sources to meet its power requirements.