A brief history
The Department of Economics was established in 1946. Erudite, eminent scholars and teachers were associated with the department in its formative years. Prof. Royal Singh, Prof. P.M.Francis, Prof. Perres, Rev.Fr. N.T. Thomas, Prof. Lobo, Prof. K.J. Joseph, Prof. Jacob Chandy have guided the department, keeping the vision and mission of the college and realizing the dream of the founding Fathers of the college.
Present Faculty :
Prof. Sujatha Devi, HoD, Prof. Praveen Saldanha and Ms. Sowmyashree
Budgets are screened live. Discussion takes place on topics of current economic interest like FDI in retail, Money laundering, Multinational companies. As we have students from various countries, the problems of their economy are discussed so that all the students are aware of the global economic problems.
Future Plan of Action :
1. To start a Post Graduate Program.
2. To incorporate internship as a part of the curriculum and to encourage industrial visits.
3. To apply to university grants commission for a minor research project.
4. To amend the syllabus of third semester to include SPSS
5. To get eminent resource persons to speak on related topics
6. To institute add-on courses like diploma and certificate courses in International Business for non-economics students, Advanced Statistics and Econometrics.
7. To streamline the evaluation of the assignments using anti-plagiarism tools.
8. To conduct National Seminars, Workshops, Symposium and Conferences.