The department of History started its journey from the very inception of the college in the year 1946. The history of India and World has been its domain of study and research. The eminent professors who steered of the Department were
Prof. P.M. Francis 1950 Prof. Alex Cruz Fernando 1959
Prof. Mathew Makil 1963-1990 Prof. M.C. Piranha
Rev. Dr. M. Vincent
Rev. Dr. M. Vincent became the first Principal of St. Philomena’s PU College when it was bifurcated from the degree college in June 2001.
Present Faculty :
The department prepares the students to face the challenges and actively contributes to the higher education, animates and motivates them for social transformation. It helps to foster the spirit of national integration and social harmony in dialogue with the problems which happened before and sometimes occur today. Training through class room lectures and tutorials, seminars, group discussion, and debates, the department helps the students to develop their mental capacity to live in the competitive world.
Future Plan of action :
1. To procure a good collection of Audio and visual aids.
2. To introduce more Diploma courses on Karnataka History.
3. To undertake Research Activities.
4. To come up with a book on Cauvery dispute-a historical perspective.
5. To conduct interdisciplinary seminars.
6. To encourage students to strive for paper presentations in Seminars in Nation-Building and Personality Development.
7. To introduce Practicals in History.
8. To contribute new perspectives in study of Wodeyars of Mysore.
9. To introduce papers on E-governance and its impact on study of History & Intellectual Property Rights.